Friday, October 06, 2006

The Way of the Cross

Our Lord willingly chose the way of the cross. In the Garden He wrestled within Himself to fully embrace what He knew to be the Father's will. After He was arrested, He willingly endured the torture and ridicule. He chose every step of the way to carry His cross to Calvary. As He was nailed to the cross He allowed it to be so and chose again to remain in the position of one who willingly gives His life for His friends. As He endured unspeakable agony on the cross, He chose every minute to remain there. He could have called legions of angels to His side. Surely, they were ready and waiting for His call. But He didn't avail Himself of such power or privilege. He willingly drank the dregs of the cup of suffering offered to Him by His Father. He was faithful to the end. He endured for the love of God and the love of humanity.

We are called to walk in the way of the cross. In our baptism we are confronted with two roads: the way of the world and the way of the cross. We choose to renounce Satan, sin, and the things of this world. We reject them. We turn our back on them. We embrace faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. We are buried with Him in baptism and raised with Him to a brand new life- a life lived in the way of the cross. We chose this way when we said "yes" to Him in faith.

Although we have chosen such a road, we are not always faithful as our Lord was, in walking on it. When we come to a time of suffering or ridicule, we often choose to lay aside the cross- or worse- try and hide it. We pretend as if we are someone else. We try to flee from the cross. When we are tempted, we lay it down and enjoy the passing pleasures of sin for a season. Then we think we can come back and pick it up again when it is convenient. When others offend us, we lay down our cross so that we may retaliate.

My brothers and sisters, pilgrims on the way of the cross, pray for me a sinner. For often I stumble. But more often I willingly lay down my cross. I have not been faithful. For that I flee to the loving and merciful arms of Him who bore a cross for our sins. In true penance I pour out my heart to Him and ask for His Grace to take up a cross and try again. I am confident that He who began a good work in me will finish it. I trust in His Grace and Strength alone for I have none of my own. Pray for me then, and I will pray for you that together we may bear our cross and reach the promised goal of eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord!

1 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Such powerful thoughts. I look forward to reading more.

Thanks for your post on my blog!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home