Sunday, December 03, 2006

Advent: Preparing For The Coming of the Lord

Another Advent dawns. As a latecomer to things Catholic, I have only been observing Advent for about the last 8 years. Each time it comes, I embrace it with much anticipation. For the world it is Christmastime. It is a time for activity and STRESS!!! For the Christian it is Advent. It is a time of quiet reflection, spiritual examination, and preparation for our coming Lord.

Advent calls me from my busy life to quiet times of refreshing in the presence of the Lord. Advent reminds me that I am due for a check-up. It has been sometime since the intense spiritual overhaul of Lent. I have grown lax and sloppy. I need to spend some time in prayer, contemplation, and meditation. I need to inspect my soul. I need confession, repentance, and absolution. I need to be ready for the appearing of the Lord.

As I meditate on the coming of the Lord, I am like many around me who are thinking about the Babe in the manger. But in addition I am also thinking of the glorious King who is soon to return to judge the living and the dead. He will establish His kingdom forever. Therefore I am ever on the watch for His return that I may be among those who will go out to greet Him and help usher Him in His return to the earth.

Advent calls me from the illusion that this life is all there is. I am able to retreat from the continuous striving of "making a living". Instead I am able to dwell secure in the one who is The Life. I clean up my act, so to speak, for the King is coming. I do not want to be caught off guard.

Advent is a time of new beginnings. For Advent is the beginning of the Church's liturgical year. I begin with a clean slate. Mistakes of the past can be left behind. I may look forward to the future- a future filled with God's mercy and grace.

For these and so many more reasons I relish this brief time of year we call Advent. I hope you do too. May we all make it a priority to prepare ourselves to celebrate the first coming of Jesus so that we will also be prepared for the second coming of our Lord in power and glory!

1 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

How refreshing to once again focus on the true Meaning of the season!

Thank you for the beautiful Advent thoughts!

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home