Friday, October 20, 2006

Pointing To Jesus

Again, the next day, John stood with two of his disciples. And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, "Behold the Lamb of God!" The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. John 1:35-37

Without going in depth with a Scriptural exegesis of this passage, the thing that catches my attention is that when John spoke, the disciples followed Jesus. Notice they did not follow John. In fact, John recedes in the picture as the narrative now picks up with the disciples and Jesus. As John said later, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

What was it about John that drew people to Jesus? How is it that John commanded such a following, and yet so easily stepped out of the picture to allow Jesus to have the main stage? Perhaps it is simply because it was God's will. Maybe it was the natural course of events given John's impending imprisonment and death. Or maybe it was just because Jesus outshone John as He was (and is) the Son of God. These are all tenable points. But the thing I'm seeing is that there was something in John that deflected attention from himself and put it where it belongs- on Jesus.

Such a trait is not inherent, nor does it come easily by effort. There is something in the godliness of John that leads people to Jesus. Does such a thing exist in us?

I want to live and to speak in such a way that when people see my life or hear my words, they too will follow Jesus. How can I be so? I will offer a thought in this direction. It is found in the preceding verses. John was consumed with the vision of Jesus as the Lamb of God.

John knew who Jesus was. He knew this by divine revelation, not natural familiarity. So too when we come to God and ask for such a vision of Christ, we may also be consumed with it. As we draw closer to our Lord and behold Him as the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, there will be a contagious effect on others around us. They too will want to come to know this Lamb of God. They yearn for the forgiveness of sins. So they will gravitate to the only one capable of giving it to them. They long for love- more specifically, the love of God. They will find it only in Him who gave Himself for us that we might be reconciled to God. In short, when we are full of Jesus then that is all they will see.

I confess that I am far from the ideal. I still want any moment in the spotlight I might have. I am ashamed to say that I am still more in love with me than I am with Jesus. However, in this confession is also my contrition. For I long that it would be so no more, but that I would lose myself in Him such that He alone will be seen.

"Behold, the Lamb of God!" Let us go and follow Him!

4 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Thank you for the exhortation to "live the life". Your posts are always so encouraging!

May our lives be the fragrance of Christ...and point others to the Source of that fragrance.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you again for your good posts. I see that it is all about what you said in your other post. It is about surrender to God's will. Living for Him.

A reader

6:23 PM  
Blogger Hidden One said...

I just wanted to say that I'm still checking out your blog on an irregular basis, and I'm still praying for you.

Sincerely In Christ
Hidden One.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home