Sunday, June 10, 2007

Corpus Christi

Today we celebrated the Feast of Corpus Christi. This is the celebration of the giving of the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist. As Catholics, we believe He is truly present in the bread and wine. The accidents (as we call them) remain the same. It still appears to be bread and wine. But the substance has been changed. It is no longer what it appears to be. It is Christ Himself appearing under these species. Consequently, we show a degree of reverence and veneration that is consistent with such a belief. We pray before the Blessed Sacrament. We genuflect when passing by it. It is holy. It is Jesus.

On this day we celebrated by following the Blessed Sacrament in procession from our parish church to the school a short distance away. We were, in a very real sense, following Jesus. Wherever He led, we followed. I cannot adequately describe the wonder I felt as we did so. I began to discover within me something of what it means to make a pilgrimage. There is truly something Grace-filled about doing that. God meets us in a very real and wonderful way. As I followed I felt my heart filled with the desire to know Him more. I wanted in every way to follow Him and make Him known. I wanted the world to see what we were doing and ask what it was all about. I longed to issue the simple invitation to "come and see".

It is said by many that of this belief one either responds in faith or doesn't. There's no middle ground. To those who believe, no explanation is necessary. To those who do not, no explanation is possible.

I now know that my life as a Protestant gave me many wonderul treasures. But in this area it was sadly deficient. I revel in what is now afforded me- to receive my dear Lord in the Holy Eucharist and in it know His Grace and forgiveness. I am blessed to be blessed with His Real Presence dwelling with us and in us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It truly was a wonder-filled journey, wasn't it? The most amazing moment to me was to look back and see the long line of those "following Jesus".

I'm so thankful for these moments when we can revel in the grace He imparts through the Sacraments. And thankful to continue on the journey with you!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home