Saturday, May 19, 2007

Like Jesus

There is a lot of talk about the historical Jesus. What was He like? What was His world like? Many scholars attempt to find out all they can about the life and times of Jesus of Nazareth. There are a lot of things I wish I knew about Jesus. I wish I knew what He looked like. I wish I knew what His voice sounded like. I wish I knew what kind of personality He had. I wish I could have heard Him tell a joke- or laugh at one. Yes, there are a lot of things I wish I knew about Him. But none of those things would help me imitate Him.

The Gospels don't answer all the questions we have. They're not intended to. Their point is to reveal to us the life, death, and resurrection of our Lord in such a manner as to lead us to faith in Him that we might receive eternal life. So while there are a number of things I don't know about Jesus, there are a great many things I do know about Him. And what I know about Him is intended to lead me to imitate Him.

One of the things I see about Jesus is that children enjoyed being near Him and the common people heard Him gladly. This means that Jesus must have been pleasant and easy-going enough to make people feel welcome and comfortable. This is amazing when you stop to think that He truly was holy. Without sin, He did not give off an air of judgment. Rather, He exuded love. I want to be like that!

I am a wretched sinner. Yet, I come of so pompous- so self-righteous. The more I strive after holiness, the more I become aloof. Jesus wasn't like this. I don't want to be either. So I must believe that the closer I get to Jesus, the more amiable I will be to sinners. Seems like a contradiction. But it's not! It's the way it should be.

God help us draw nearer to You that we might show more of your love and mercy to all people. May they be drawn to you by our example and not repelled. Amen!

1 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

The more we look to the Author and Finisher, the more our lives should reflect Him.

Still, I wish I knew what His voice sounded like, too. Or how it felt to feel the touch of His hand when He healed the sick.

Someday!

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home